This trip provides 9 days trekking in the Rwenzori. The gradual
height gain allows for excellent acclimatisation. Although you never have to
walk fast or cover great distances a good degree of fitness is required as the
terrain is quite demanding.
The best (dry) seasons are mid-December to early March and from early July to
mid-August. Out of season the mountains can be spectacularly clear and garbed
with snow - but the walking is then much tougher - boggier.
- Arrival and transfer to hotel in Entebbe. (Overnight at The Boma guest House or Lake Heights hotel).
- Depart by 8am for the transfer to Kasese to arrive in the Rwenzori by mid-afternoon. We then have time to organise
all our trekking equipment ready to depart by 8.30am the next morning. Overnight at Margherita Hotel. (8hrs transfer).
- Transfer to the Trekkers Hostel, 20 min. The trek starts at Trekkers Hostel just beyond Kilembe. Meet your guides, briefing at 8am, start walking at 8.30am. The trek passes through montane forest and bamboo. Overnight at Sine Camp 2596 metres.
- Trek to Mutinda camp 3688 metres via Kalama Camp. After Kalama we pass though a flat valley dotted with Gaint Lobelia then it follows a rocky river where in places you are required to rock hop down alongside the stream. The atmosphere is truly unique as the valley is closed in and often misty, creating the ideal environment for mosses and lichen.
- Trek to Bugata Camp 4062 metres. A steep ascent through groundsel forests leads to Bamwanjara Pass via the Kachope Lakes. The Kachope Lakes area is one of the few areas where on a misty day one may catch glimpse of the Rwenzori leopard. The pass offers spectacular scenery of the main peaks, particularly on a clear day. The path continues steeply to the camp.
- Trek to Butawu Camp 3974 metres.
- Trek to Margherita Camp 4485 metres. This is a relativately easy walk past Kitandara Lakes to climb through the Scott Elliott pass to our camp situated on the ridge leading to the Stanley Plateau. Along the way we have fantastic views north to Lake Bujuku and Mt Speke. To the south you see Kitandara Lakes and Wiesmanns Peak.
- Summit Margherita peak 5109 metres. It is best to start climbing no later than 4am getting up at 3.30am to have a quick cup of coffee or tea and some light high energy snacks and then set off. It takes about one and a half hours to reach the Stanley Plateau glacier at 4,765m. Steeper sections of this scramble have rope handrails.
Here we need to put on crampons and harnesses although there are few crevasses. At sunrise the scenery is spectular on a clear day. Your guide will decide on the best alternative in prevailing conditions. Climb up the glacier to a col between Alexandra and Magherita now scramble up easy rocks (handrail) to the main peak. At times the rocks are covered with snow and ice and may be slippery but mostly it is firm rock. Descend using the same route down to Margherita Camp for lunch. After a rest we continue down back to overnight at Butawu Camp.
- Trek down back to Bugata camp 3,518 metres.
- A long trek down to Samalira camp 3174 metres. A spectacular walk through towering lichen-covered giant heathers, mossy rocks, passing beneath towering peaks, through small bogs and forests of giant lobelias.
- Trek down to base camp and transfer to Fort portal. Overnight at Fort Motel (2hrs Transfer to Fort portal).
- Transfer back to Kampala/Entebbe. Humura Resort or Protea hotel. (8hrs transfer).
- Fly out.?
Queen Elizabeth National Park and Chimpanzee viewing extension:
- After our descent from Samalira drive to Queen Elizabeth National Park. Relax in Mweya Lodge. Full board and total luxury compared to the mountain trip.
- After breakfast we go for a game drive then a boat cruise along the Kazinga channel, return to Mweya Safari Lodge.
- We set off early in the morning and head to the Kyambura wildlife reserve. Here we will be able to track chimpanzees in the tropical rain forest. This involves several hours of hiking in the Kyambura river gorge. This beautiful river
valley is home to many species of birds and butterflies. Drive to Kampala Lake Victoria Serena for Luxury and Backpackers hostel for Budget. We can as well transfer direct to the airport depending on the time of the flight.
- Transfer to the airport.
The programme is available as a private trip all the year round, contact us for more details.
- Park entry fees
all transfers as per the itinerary
- porters and trained English speaking guide
- FB accommodation, en-suite twin-bedded rooms
- communal huts/tents on the mountain
- all meals on the mountain
- technical equipment (harness, helmet, ice axe, crampons) if required. You might wish to take your own.
- luggage transfers and other transfers such as late arrivals / early departures
- personal expenses
- travel and health insurance
- visa fees
- personal phone calls
beverages other than those offered with meals.
Purchase detailed guidebook and map of the Rwenzori.
Scramble to Plateau
Mt Stanley from Bamwanjara